Breast Lift Monterey — Rejuvenate your figure with a breast profile that is more youthful and uplifted
Over the years, factors such as pregnancy, nursing and the force of gravity take their toll on a woman’s breasts. As the skin loses its elasticity, the breasts often lose their shape and firmness and begin to sag. Breast lift, or mastopexy, is a surgical procedure to raise and reshape sagging breasts. Mastopexy can also reduce the size of the areola, the darker skin surrounding the nipple. Breast lift surgery does not significantly change the size of your breasts. If your breasts are small or have lost volume — for example, after pregnancy — breast implants inserted in conjunction with mastopexy can increase both their firmness and size.
What is mastopexy?
This 1- to 3-hour surgery helps raise and reshape sagging breasts by removing excess skin and repositioning remaining tissue and nipples. The surgery is usually outpatient, with local or general anesthesia.
A woman’s breasts often change over time, losing their youthful shape and firmness. These changes and loss of skin elasticity can result from:
- Weight fluctuations
Candidates for reduction mammaplasty
Breast lift surgery is a highly individualized procedure. You should do it for yourself, not to fulfill someone else’s ideal image. You may be a candidate for breast lift surgery if:
- You are physically healthy and maintain a stable weight
- You do not smoke
- You are bothered by the feeling that your breasts sag or have lost shape and volume
- Your breasts have a flatter, elongated shape or are pendulous
- When unsupported, your nipples fall below the breast crease
- Your nipples and areolas point downward
- You have stretched skin and enlarged areolas
- One breast is lower than the other
Your breast lift procedure can be achieved through a variety of incision patterns and techniques. The appropriate technique for you will be determined based on:
- Breast size and shape
- The size and position of your areolas
- The degree of breast sagging
- Skin quality and elasticity as well as the amount of extra skin
There are three common incision patterns: Around the areola; around the areola and vertically down from the areola to the breast crease; around the areola, vertically down from the breast crease and horizontally along the breast crease
Reshaping your breasts
After your doctor makes the incisions:
- The underlying breast tissue is lifted and reshaped to improve breast contour and firmness.
- The nipple and areola are repositioned to a natural, more youthful height.
- If necessary, enlarged areolas are reduced by excising skin at the perimeter.
- Excess breast skin is removed to compensate for a loss of elasticity.
Some incision lines will be concealed in the natural breast contours; however, others are visible on the breast surface. Incision lines are permanent, but in most cases will fade and significantly improve over time. Many women desire the smallest scar possible. However, Dr. Morwood will recommend the incisions which best suit your anatomy.
Begin with a consultation
The process begins with a detailed, sit-down consultation with Dr. Morwood in his office. During your mastopexy consultation be prepared to discuss:
- Your surgical goals
- Medical conditions, drug allergies and medical treatments
- Current medications, vitamins, herbal supplements, alcohol, tobacco and drug use
- Previous surgeries
- If you have a family history of breast cancer
- The results of any mammograms or previous biopsies
Dr. Morwood may also:
- Evaluate your general health status and any pre-existing health conditions or risk factors
- Examine your breasts and may take detailed measurements of their size and shape, skin quality and placement of your nipples and areolas
- Take photographs
- Discuss your options
- Recommend a course of treatment
- Discuss likely outcomes of breast lift surgery and any risks or potential complications
- Discuss the use of anesthesia during your breast lift
In preparing for breast lift surgery, you may be asked to:
- Get lab testing or a medical evaluation
- Take certain medications or adjust your current medications
- Get a baseline mammogram before surgery and another one after surgery to help detect any future changes in your breast tissue
- Stop smoking
- Avoid taking aspirin, anti-inflammatory drugs and herbal supplements as they can increase bleeding
Call Dr. Morwood today
Dr. Morwood is a board certified plastic surgeon who will provide a custom-designed approach to help you achieve your aesthetic vision. Please call (831) 646-8661 to set up a consultation.
Over the years, factors such as pregnancy, nursing, and the force of gravity take their toll on a woman’s breasts. As the skin loses its elasticity, the breasts often lose their shape and firmness and begin to sag. Breastlift, or mastopexy, is a surgical procedure to raise and reshape sagging breasts–at least, for a time. (No surgery can permanently delay the effects of gravity.) Mastopexy can also reduce the size of the areola, the darker skin surrounding the nipple. If your breasts are small or have lost volume–for example, after pregnancy–breast implants inserted in conjunction with mastopexy can increase both their firmness and their size.
Procedure: Raise and reshape sagging breasts by removing excess skin and repositioning remaining tissue and nipples.
Length: 1 to 3 hours.
Anesthesia: Local with sedation, or general.
In/Outpatient: Usually outpatient. Sometimes inpatient.
Side Effects: Temporary bruising, swelling, discomfort, numbness, dry breast skin. Permanent scars.
Risks: Thick, wide scars; skin loss; infection. Unevenly positioned nipples. Permanent loss of feeling in nipples or breast.
Recovery: Back to work: 1 week or more. Strenuous activities: 1 month. Fading of scars: several months to a year.
Duration of Results: Variable; gravity, pregnancy, aging, and weight changes may cause new sagging. Results may last longer or be enhanced when breast implants are inserted as part of the procedure.
SCHEDULE A CONSULTATION WITH DR. MORWOOD
Dr. Morwood is a board certified plastic surgeon who can help enhance the size, shape, and symmetry of your breasts.
Please call (831) 646-8661 to set up a consultation.