Brachioplasty Monterey — Sagging skin on the upper arm can create a deflated appearance
Brachioplasty, also known as an arm lift, is a body contouring procedure that can give the upper arms a tighter, more toned, and well-defined appearance by eliminating loose excess skin and pockets of excess fat from the area. Board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. David T. Morwood is one of the top surgeons in Monterey and can provide you with excellent care and results.
Why Is My Upper Arm Skin Loose and Flabby?
Fluctuations in weight, growing older and heredity can cause your upper arms to have a drooping, sagging appearance. This is a condition that cannot be corrected through exercise. Brachioplasty, commonly referred to as an arm lift, creates a better contour by removing excess, sagging skin and fat that spans from elbow to armpit.
The Benefits of Brachioplasty
An arm lift, or brachioplasty, is a surgical procedure that:
- Reduces excess sagging skin that droops downward
- Tightens and smoothes the underlying supportive tissue that defines the shape of the upper arm
- Reduces localized pockets of fat in the upper arm region
Candidates for an arm lift
In general, arm lift candidates include:
- Adults with significant upper arm skin laxity>
- Adults of any age whose weight is relatively stable and who are not significantly overweight
- Healthy individuals without medical conditions that impair healing or increase risk of surgery
- Individuals with a positive outlook and realistic expectations
The Arm Lift Procedure
Medications are administered for your comfort during arm lift surgery. The choices include intravenous sedation and general anesthesia. Incision length and pattern during arm lift surgery depend on the amount and location of excess skin to be removed, as well as the best judgment of Dr. Morwood. Incisions are generally placed along the inside of the arm or on the back of the arm and may extend from the underarm (axilla) to just above the elbow. Excess fat may be directly excised or treated with liposuction.
Depending on your specific condition, incisions may be more limited. Then, underlying supportive tissue is tightened and reshaped with internal sutures. Finally, the skin is smoothed over the new contour of your arm. The smoother, tighter contours that result from brachioplasty are apparent almost immediately following your procedure, although there will likely be swelling and bruising.
Arm Lift Recovery
During your recovery from arm lift surgery, dressings or bandages may be applied to your incisions, and your arms may be wrapped in an elastic bandage or a compression garment to minimize swelling following surgery. You will be given specific instructions on how to care for the surgical site and drains, medications to apply or take orally to aid healing, specific concerns to look for and when to follow up with Dr. Morwood.
Arm Lift Cost
Price will vary between patients based on the amount of work needed and other factors. Financing options are available
What to Expect During your Consultation
The process begins with a detailed, sit-down consultation with Dr. Morwood in his office. During your arm lift surgery consultation be prepared to discuss:
- Your aesthetic goals
- Medical conditions, drug allergies, and medical treatments
- Current medications, vitamins, herbal supplements, alcohol, tobacco, and drug use
- Previous surgeries
Dr. Morwood may also:
- Evaluate your general health status and any pre-existing health conditions or risk factors
- Take photographs
- Discuss your options
- Discuss likely outcomes of arm lift surgery and any risks or potential complications
Call Dr. Morwood today
Dr. Morwood is a board-certified plastic surgeon who will provide a custom-designed approach to help you achieve your aesthetic vision. Please call our office in Monterey at (831) 646-8661 to set up a consultation.