Chemical peels are treatments to reduce signs of aging on the skin and to make it beautiful again. One of the popular chemical peel treatments is done using trichloroacetic acid (TCA). TCA peels can be used to treat a number of skin issues.
What Is a TCA Peel Treatment?
TCA peels are safe and effective skin treatments. Their application on the face results in the skin drying and peeling off in a controlled manner to remove damage. The process occurs over several days after the application. The new skin layer is free from damage and looks naturally beautiful.
Chemical peel treatments are performed at various depths – superficial, medium, and deep. TCA can be used at all three depths to achieve the desired results. Dr. Morwood can determine the depth of the peel best suited for you after examining your skin.
In the case of superficial peels, the chemical only penetrates the upper skin layer. Medium peels are effective on both middle and outer skin layers. The deep peel penetrates the middle dermal layer deeply to work on the damaged cells.
Results and Aftercare
Superficial TCA peels require at least two to three sessions to produce proper results, as is true for all light peels. There is no downtime or extensive recovery period required for the superficial peel treatments.
Medium and deep TCA peels are done only once or twice a year but require some downtime. We will recommend the right depth for your TCA peel treatment based on the damage present on your skin.
After the TCA peel treatment, the peeling and recovery time depends on the depth. Temporary redness on the skin is a common sign of the treatment working, and it will occur with peels of every depth.
Superficial TCA peel treatment may require five to seven days to peel away. With other depths, you may need more than a week’s time to complete the treatment. You will need to avoid sun exposure during the peeling process, and it will be vital that you follow the care instructions given by Dr. Morwood.
Uses of TCA Peel Treatments
• You can use TCA peels to reduce the appearance of fine lines and creases. It is also useful for removing severe and moderate wrinkles. These treatments can make your skin smoother and softer.
• You can undergo TCA peel treatments to reduce all types of pigmentation from your skin. It is especially helpful in reducing melasma, which is a kind of pigmentation that appears as brown patches on the skin. Such pigments usually appear due to hormonal imbalances.
• You can use TCA peels to reduce age spots and improve the texture of the skin damaged by sun exposure. Use of mild TCA peels is also helpful in making the skin look radiant and generally revitalizing it.
• TCA peels are beneficial in reducing the look of acne scars. You can use TCA peels to minimize the pores and reduce acne breakouts.
• You can undergo TCA peels not only on the face but also on the hands, arms, neck, chest, and legs. It can be used on all skin types.
Make an Appointment to Learn More
Dr. Morwood has over 20 years’ experience as a plastic surgeon, he is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, he is a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, and for years he has served as either the chief or vice chief of the Division of Plastic Surgery of Monterey.
For more information about Dr. Morwood or if you would like to schedule a consultation, please contact us here.