Breast augmentation is a surgical procedure that utilizes breast implants to improve the size and projection of the breasts. Some of the major issues that can be addressed using breast augmentation, also known as augmentation mammoplasty, are mentioned below:
• Improving the ratio between the curves of hips and the breasts
• Enhancing the overall body shape
• Boosting the size and projection of breasts
Based on aspects such as filling and texture, breast implants are categorized into various types for women to choose from. The specifications of your breast implants will affect your breasts’ look, feel, and more. During your consultation with Dr. Morwood, you will find out more about your implant options.
Breast implants are prosthetic silicone shells filled with either saline or silicone.
• Saline Implants: Saline implants are filled with sterile saltwater. In case of rupture or damage of the implants, the saline that leaks out can be easily absorbed and then subsequently excreted by the human body. Saline implants are approved by the FDA and help in providing uniformity and firmness to the structure and feel of the breasts.
• Silicone Implants: One of the most popular types of implants, silicone implants are filled with silicone gel. This gel imitates the feel and contours of natural breast tissues. Because silicone gel is thicker than saline solution, it generally doesn’t leak during damage or tearing. This prevents the implant from visibly collapsing even if the gel begins to leak. Silicone implants are lighter than saline implants. Silicone implants require routine visits to the plastic surgeon after the surgery in order to ensure the proper functioning of the implants. The status of silicone implants can be easily assessed using MRI or ultrasound. Silicone implants are approved by the FDA for women age 22 and older.
Breast implants come in two types of textures: smooth or textured.
• Smooth breast implants: Typically, breast implants have a smooth shell. Because their shell is also thinner as a result, they provide a softer feeling than textured implants. Smooth implants do not cause any drag. They typically last longer than textured implants and are less likely to create rippling in the skin of the breasts.
• Textured breast implants: Textured implants are a special category of breast implants that have a slightly rougher texture in order to stick more rigidly to the surrounding tissues of the breast pocket. This makes them very safe from risk of displacement in comparison to smooth implants.
Other aspects of the procedure can also be chosen in order to provide specific results. These include the placement of the implants in relation to the chest muscles, the type of incisions used, the implant size, and the implant shape.
Find Out More About Breast Implants During a Consultation
Dr. Morwood has over 20 years’ experience as a plastic surgeon, he is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, he is a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, and for years he has served as either the chief or vice chief of the Division of Plastic Surgery of Monterey.
For more information about Dr. Morwood or if you would like to schedule a consultation, please contact us here.