Reduction mammaplasty is a surgery to reduce the size of breasts. The surgery is useful for achieving a breast size that feels right for you. For many women, their breast size may be large enough to cause discomfort or problems while performing simple activities. In such cases, a reduction mammaplasty offers a great solution.
The Reduction Mammaplasty Procedure
Reduction mammaplasty involves removing excess skin, fat, and other tissues from the breasts. Your doctor will make incisions for the surgery in accordance with the requirements of the procedure for your specific body type. The incisions will differ from one candidate to another.
Through the incisions, your doctor will then remove the fat and tissues as needed. Your doctor may also reduce your areola size if necessary in order to make it more proportional to the dimensions of your new breast. The doctor will close the incisions when the new breast size and shape is ready.
Reduction mammaplasty is performed under general anesthesia. Your doctor will discuss anesthesia and the procedure details with you prior to the surgery.
Before the Procedure
Your doctor will discuss your medical history and lifestyle with you during a consultation. You will need to stop smoking for the surgery, as smoking can cause complications during the healing process. You also need to stop taking certain medications. If you have a heart condition or diabetes, your doctor will decide if it is possible for you to get a reduction mammaplasty.
Benefits of Reduction Mammaplasty
Reduction mammaplasty can help women with large breasts improve the quality of their lives in many ways:
• Women with large breasts can experience chronic back pain or pain in their neck and shoulders. They may be dealing with constant nerve pain. A reduction in breast size can help them get rid of these persistent aches and pain.
• Women with large breasts may have difficulty fitting into their clothes. This can mean not being able to find the right clothing to fit your body shape but to also accommodate your large breasts. A breast reduction surgery may be helpful in such cases.
• Women can also experience chronic rashes under their large breasts. Skin irritation in the folds beneath the breasts is a common problem for women with large breasts. Such skin problems can not only be physically discomforting but also emotionally distressing. In such a case, a reduction mammaplasty may be the right solution for you.
• Large breast size can mean restricted activity. If you find it difficult to run, exercise, swim, dance, or participate in any other physical activity due to your large breast size, a reduction mammaplasty may help you.
• Women can experience low self-esteem due to their large breast size. If you don’t feel confident with your body, it can cause you emotional distress. You may also hesitate to form relationships due to body-image issues. A reduction mammaplasty is a way to get smaller breasts so that you can feel more comfortable with your body.
Patients can consider reduction mammaplasty once their breasts have fully developed. They must make sure to consult with a qualified and experienced surgeon before getting the procedure.
Ready to Find Out More?
Dr. Morwood has over 20 years’ experience as a plastic surgeon, he is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, he is a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, and for years he has served as either the chief or vice chief of the Division of Plastic Surgery of Monterey.
For more information about Dr. Morwood or if you would like to schedule a consultation, please contact us here.